Friday, December 18, 2009

Autobiography of an Indian Naval Architect

Autobiography of an Indian Naval Architect

By Capt Mohan Ram (Indian Navy)

I came across this book, which was mailed to me by one of the readers of this blog site and I am not sure that the author has published it or not.

The book is an interesting read, though it doesn’t cover much that is relevant to the naval architecture field. The author Mohan Ram was an ex-captain in the Indian Navy and was one of the earliest officers to join the Corp of Naval Constructors of Indian Navy, which is an offshoot of Royal Corp of Naval Constructors (UK), after India got its independence. An alumnus of the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, the author served the Indian Navy for a span of twenty five years. During this brief span the author had the distinction of serving in various capacities in the Dockyards and the Naval Design organizations. Though the author claims, he is one of the foremost naval architects of India, I am pretty sure that not many in the Naval Architectural world would have heard of him. He has not published any papers or made any theoretical contribution in the field of Naval Architecture. But considering the primitive state of naval architecture in India during those days, it is possibly true that the author could have been India’s foremost Naval Architect.

Notwithstanding the above, the book is an interesting read, especially from the point of historical development of India’s indigenous capabilities in the designing of ships.

The primitive state of Indian Navy’s Naval Architectural capabilities is brought out in one of the eureka moments which the author had……….

“ On a wet Saturday afternoon I was doodling on a piece of paper at home and idly wondered “what would happen, if I powered the new ship with the same power plant- two turbines of fifteen thousand horsepower each, without any change. How much would the speed drop? Was there any chance of convincing the naval staff that a small sacrifice in top speed would make the ship more economical and easier to construct?” I did a quick back-of-the envelope calculation to estimate the speed loss. To my utter surprise, the answer came out that the ship did not lose speed at all. On the contrary it would go a full knot faster, at 29 knots which the naval staff wanted! I checked the numbers again and again and could not find any mistakes in the calculation. I tried other methods for estimating the power required and found that the answer came out the same. I was elated. Perhaps this was a brilliant solution for meeting the navy’s requirement without any additional investment, using equipment being manufactured in India. I was so excited about my discovery that I could hardly sleep the whole weekend.”

“I rushed to the office on Monday and announced my discovery. No one believed me at first. I was greeted with a stony silence and most of my colleagues, thought that I had gone out of my head. I could not blame them, as my findings were totally counter-intuitive.”

“Without sounding too technical, let me simply explain how this came about. Further analysis revealed that at lower speeds the resistance to ships’ motion was primarily due to friction, in which the larger ship with about 20% greater wetted surface area (area exposed to the water) was at a disadvantage. Above 22 knots, the resistance to motion from wave making due to the ship cleaving through the sea became much more prominent than friction. If the interference between the waves created by the bow (front) of the ship and the stern (rear) of the ship were positive, resulting in a crest at the rear end, resistance due to wave making would be lower. If the interference between the bow and stern wave systems resulted in a trough at the stern, the resistance due to wave making would be higher. The interference is a function of a factor called Froude number, which relates the square of the speed of the ship to the length of the ship. In the case of the Leander at 28 knots, the interference caused a trough at the stern increasing the wave making resistance. But in the new longer ship, the interference resulted in a crest. This resulted in a lower wave resistance in the bigger ship, which more than compensated the increased drag due to greater area. Overall this led to the bigger ship going faster. Once we had done this detailed analysis the picture became a lot clearer. We also found that the same principle was being adopted in ‘jumboizing’ super tankers to by adding a new mid section, making the ships longer to carry more crude without losing speed.”

The very fact, that the obvious result that larger ships (of similar Geometric proportions) could have lesser resistance compared to ships of smaller length, because of the cancellation of the wave fields (a fact taught in the basic courses of Resistance of Ships), was such a shocking eye-opener to the Stalwarts of Indian Naval Architecture Community speaks volumes of their technical ignorance of Basic Naval Architecture and goes on to show that Mohan Ram, when he claims himself to be one of the foremost Naval architects of India, could indeed be speaking the truth.

The second half of the book deals with the author’s life as a non-practicing naval architect in the Indian Industry. Interesting, but not relevant to Naval Architects. The author claims that he was responsible for the turnaround of some loss making companies and offers some management platitudes.

“I expect this story to be of interest to senior managers of organizations facing severe competition and loss of market share and running into decline and sickness. It should provide useful insights, as it spans my experience of working in all three sectors, government, PSUs and the private sector. It should also be useful to academic institutions and students of management, as the book brings live Indian cases to light. Management consultants might find some of the events and solutions relevant and interesting. Multinational corporations and foreign institutional investors may find the narrative useful in getting a clearer understanding of the Indian psyche and corporate scene, some of its unique problems and possible approaches to their solutions.”

Overall a good book, especially for those in India in the Naval Architectural profession.

The book is not openly available in the internet as of date. I had read it, courtesy, one of my blog readers who had emailed it to me. He is one the members of a yahoo group called “Constructor County” which is a group which caters to the Naval Architecture Fraternity of India (only??? I am not sure).

However surprisingly while browsing the net, I found it here.

The author would have possibly uploaded it.


6 comments:

Charles Roring said...

I am interested in reading the story about
naval architecture
from an Indian naval architect. Is the book available now?

Naval Architect said...

@ Charles Roring
Yes, you can download it thru the link at the end of the article.

himanshu said...

I am watching a tv show in which a beautiful chic is flaunting her curves, though she looks very tempting, very attractive, I can well imagine the amount of hard work she would have put in to develop these curves . Being a naval architect, I am suddenly reminded of my 1st year in the college, when we used to flaunt - " We design the curves". It was only after spending some active time in the real world that we come to know, how difficult it is to actually design and maintain those curves!!
With this trying to be funny type of intro, you must be thinking, what's the point I am trying to make? Well the point is simple, It is easy to understand most of the complicated laws/hypothesis in classroom, but it is very difficult to relate the same in day to day life.

I am sure that all of you would have read about Newton's law of motion and gravitation, but wonder how many would have actually experienced it in the real life.

It took a genius like Sir Issac Newton to realize that there is a law of gravitation hidden in a falling apple, otherwise millions of apples fall every day!!!

So if someone has correlated a basic law of naval architecture to the real life situation and reaped benefits out of it, I think you can stop being a critic and show some appreciation.

Mohan Ram said...

First of all, the book is not titled “The autobiography of a naval architect.” It is a chronicle of my life shared with a few friends in a book form. It was meant for limited circulation. I am surprised that it went out of our group to be discussed in a public forum.

Second my “Eureka’ moment was in the context of a fledgling design organization staffed with four officers and twenty raw draughtsmen setting out to a design a frigate, with western underwater weapons and Soviet guns, Anti aircraft and surface missiles and fire control, for the first time in the world. The Navy was considering gas turbines to achieve higher speed. The analysis was done at the preliminary design stage. Government of India had invested crores of rupees in developing steam turbines, turbo-generators and other steam auxiliaries in India for the Nilgiri class of frigates. A change of propulsion would have involved fresh outlay of funds, especially scarce foreign exchange. It would have also involved huge design effort.

A (roughly) geometrically ten percent increase in dimensions of the ship, will actually reduce speed drastically, if the displacement goes up proportionately by 33 %. Higher speed was achieved by Godavari, as the displacement went up by only 20 %. The ship hit a sweet spot when the reduced wave resistance coefficient more than compensated the effect of increased friction and higher displacement. I estimated that at a displacement of about 3800 tons, the ship’s top speed would be same as Giris. At geometrically similar displacement of over 4000 tons, the speed would drop by over a knot! This finding was counterintuitive at that time. In the event, it saved the Indian Government crores of rupees in investment and brought out the ships faster. Three of Godavari class and three follow on ships with improved armament have been built. INS Godavari saved the government of Maldives from insurrection and distinguished itself rescuing merchant ships in Somalia.

The Indian corps of constructors is not an offshoot of RCNC. Early batches were trained in the UK but people were trained later in the USSR and at MIT. Now officers are being trained in India. Corps has gone far ahead now. I am proud of the succeeding generations of officers who have gone far ahead from my sherpa days in the corps. Follow on gas turbine propelled larger missile frigates are in service.Next class of stealth frigates are nearing completion. Nuclear ship INS Arihant was also designed by the corps.

My record of turning around of companies is in the public record. As for TVS Suzuki Limited, it was facing reference to BIFR (chapter 11) in 1990. By 1996, the turnover went up six times to six hundred crores and profit before tax over sixty crores. We were awarded the Economic times- Harvard Business School Alumni Association award for business excellence in 1996 and ICFAI award for shareholder return. The information and financial statements are in the pubic domain.

I received the FIE foundation medal for Engineering and business excellence from Mr. Manohar Joshi in 1996. I was elected a fellow of the prestigious Indian national academy of engineers in 2000. The exclusive academy set up by charter of Government of India spans all engineering disciplines and has only five hundred and fifty Indian fellow and fifty foreign fellows (including people like Dr. Chidambaram, Narayanamurthy etc). I am currently leading the initiative of automotive recycling in India. A paper presented by me on the subject is one of the few referred to in the high level “Prime Minister’s Action Plan for Climate Change.” I am still making a useful contribution.

My suggestion to the blogger is to use his not inconsiderable talents in a positive fashion. It is easy and trivial to trash others.

Mohan Ram

Unknown said...

Hi

Yesterday i have attended an exhibition of Architecture Program. In this exhibition lots of books, magazines, news, articles and posters there. It was an excellent exhibition. Very Interesting.

Mohan Ram said...

Further to my comment to the blogger seven years ago, let me add that I had written a light-hearted memoir of my naval life titled My ships sailed the seas but I stayed ashore." The book has had a good reception and reviews.



Having reached the ripe age of eighty, I continue to look at life positively. I do not relish ridiculing others and trivializing their contributions. I suggest the blogger spend the small amount of just rupees 295/- and read the book, which deals with my naval career. He would see that I have made it a point never to look down on others in my entire life.

I am not angry with his immature comments. On the contrary, I hope with age, he will acquire the wisdom to appreciate others and be a little less full of himself.

If I were so mediocre, is it not amazing that I have received awards from a Prime Minister and a would-be Prime Minister and been elected to the premium engineering society of the country, INAE?

I am sure he will be a happier man for making the effort and make others also happier around him. It may be worth trying!